Are you an outgoing individual who has extensive knowledge of Marine Wildlife? Do you love meeting new people? Do you have a passion for the ocean and love the idea of educating tourists about whales & wildlife? If so we have the perfect job for you!
SpringTide Whale Watching & Eco Tours has an opportunity for a Marine Naturalist/Biologist position for July through September.
If you are passionate about wildlife, possess a strong work ethic and have experience working in the tourism industry then please read on.
Responsibilities of the job:
- Informing & educating guests about local whales and other marine wildlife
- Insuring safety & comfort of all passengers aboard our 61ft Motor Yacht
- Safely & efficiently tying lines on vessels
- Preforming daily duties as a deckhand/crew member & reporting directly to the Captain
- Cleaning and preparing boats before & after each tour
- Practicing a high level of customer service at all times
- Presenting marine mammal lectures using visual aids
- Managing large crowds efficiently and effectively
- Helping out at check ins
- Meeting and liaising with Tour Directors and their guests before your tour
- Keeping guests excited and engaged at all times (especially on those No Whale Days!)
Skills and Qualifications
- Must have or plan to obtain Marine First Aid certificate
- Must have or plan to obtain Marine Emergency Duties – DVS (Domestic Vessel Safety)
- Strong knowledge of vessels & handling lines is a must
- Extensive knowledge of West Coast Mammals and Birdlife
- Must have a high level of Customer Service
- Strong ability to crowd control
- Passion for wildlife, wildlife conservation & educating guests in a fun manner
- Knowledge of SpringTide’s contribution to conservation
- Knowledge of Victoria & surrounding area is preferred
- University degree in Marine Sciences with a focus on whales is a strong bonus
- Ability to write and post daily Captain’s Logs on our website
- Skills in wildlife photography & social media posting is also a bonus
- The ability to speak more than one language is preferred
- Must be available to work some evenings, weekends and holidays
- Must be available to start in July and work through September
- Preferably have a degree in Marine Biology and extensive knowledge of local Marine Wildlife
Please send an introductory email outlining why you feel you would be great for this position, along with your current resume showing applicable skills to Joanne@SpringTideCharters.com. Thank you.